A one-day crown, also known as a same-day crown, is a dental restoration that is designed, milled, and placed in a single appointment. This approach eliminates the need for multiple appointments and temporary restorations.
The one-day crown process typically involves the following steps:
- Digital scanning: The patient’s tooth is scanned using specialized digital scanners to create a 3D model.
- Digital design: The dentist uses specialized software to design the crown using the 3D model.
- Milling: The crown is then milled from a block of ceramic material using a computer-aided milling machine.
- Sintering: The milled crown is then placed inside porcelain oven for crystallization (make it tough).
- Placement: Once the crown is milled, it is placed in the patient’s mouth and secured in place using dental cement.
Benefits of one-day crowns include:
- Convenience: The entire process can be completed in a single appointment, eliminating the need for multiple appointments and temporary restorations.
- Accuracy: The digital scanning and design process ensures a precise fit and minimal adjustments needed.
- Aesthetics: The ceramic material used to create the crown can be color-matched to the patient’s natural teeth, creating a more natural-looking restoration.
- Comfort: With same-day crowns, there is no need for temporary restorations, which can be uncomfortable or inconvenient.
Overall, one-day crowns are a convenient and efficient option for dental restorations, providing patients with a high-quality restoration in a single visit.