What is wisdom tooth?
Wisdom tooth normally happens to the unerupted last molar at around 17-21 years old due to limited space or malposition. It is recommended to be removed.
How do I know if I have wisdom tooth?
You need to go see a dentist to check and have x-ray taken when you are 18 years old or older.
Why do I need wisdom tooth removal?
1. Pain from caries or gum disease due to inability to clean the area
2. Caries affects adjacent tooth
3. Acute infection from caries or gum disease
4. Tumor or cyst aggravate from wisdom tooth
5. Possible jaw fracture from accident due to thin jaw in that area
Post-operative instructions after wisdom tooth removal in Bangkok
1. Place gauze and bite hard 1-2 hours after surgery. After gauze removal, if bleeding is only seeping, it is normal. If bleeding is oozing, then bite on new gauze for 1 more hour. If the bleeding still not stop, please call us as soon as possible.
2. Do not rinse and spit for the first 6 hours. Gently rinse for the first 2 days unless the clot will come out. It will cause severe pain from dry socket (no clot).
3. Do not eat or chew on the same side as wisdom tooth removal for first 2-3 hours. You might bite on your cheek and tongue due to numbness from anesthesia.
4. Do not touch or lick the wound for the first week. It can cause bleeding.
5. Take pain killer as soon as pain arise or anesthesia is gone.
6. Do not stop or skip antibiotic.
7. Do not exercise for 1 week.
8. Cold compress on the cheek for 15 minutes and rest for 5 minutes for the first 2 days. It will reduce the swelling.
9. Do not smoke or drink alcohol for 1 week. Smoking can delay healing.
10. Soft diet is recommended. Do not eat or drink acidic, spicy and tasty food.
What is the possible complication after wisdom tooth removal?
If bleeding does not stop within 3-4 hours, please call us soon as possible. Bleeding can normally seep for 1-2 days.
Normaly, swelling on the cheek and side of the face will be gone around 3-7 days. Cold compress can reduce swelling.
Bruise happens in female more than male. It cause from bleeding under the skin area. It will be purple, green, then yellow as follow for 1-2 weeks.
Pain can normally be controlled by pain killer. Severe pain will stay for first 2-3 days. If pain is not relieved within 1 week, please call us as soon as possible.
For more information on wisdom tooth removal in Bangkok, or to make an appointment, contact Global Dental Complex today.